Friday, March 09, 2007

What's for dinner? (An true story from my mom)


Here’s an entertaining dinner menu for you: As some of you may know, Vern has long been wanting a deep fat fryer, and I have long be saying the big NO. Like, where are we going to put it for starters? On the counter with all the other crap we don’t know where to put? And what about all that fat? But alas, he went out an bought himself a deep fat fryer. Now, don’t get me wrong. I do like French fries once and awhile, but have you ever made them at home? The house stinks for days!

Well, yesterday the good and dutiful husband stopped in at the local restaurant supply store and bought 30 lbs. – yes, three zero- of frozen French fries all ready to plop into the huge deep fat fryer now taking up loads of counter space in our kitchen. If a little is good, more is better; right? He also picked up some lovely shrimp, all breaded and ready to go. We have enough of these little critters for at least another five meals tucked away in the freezer next to their friendly companions, the abundant French fries.

When I completed my teaching schedule for the day, I traipsed down from the studio, and in through the back door to the oh-so-lovely smell of hot oil. (I was going to ask him to run and extension cord to the back deck and do his duty out there, but didn’t quite get this request relayed in time.) There was some panic happening in the kitchen at this point. He had placed the pan which holds the oil in the fryer backwards, and needed my help to get it out and turned around and placed in the correct direction. I was a little nervous, but we managed. I tried to stay out of the way of the frying frenzy, but did manage to steam some fresh spinach to counteract the evil effects of all that oil. I have to say, Vern made the best French fries and fried shrimp I have ever had. Maybe all the effort he went to is influencing my opinion, but it was yummy. We had plenty of good-old-American ketchup and cocktail sauce, a little margarine on the spinach, and wallah! – a blue-plate-special!

Just in case any of you are wondering what on earth happened to all that oil after the frying was done, we simply poured it back into the gallon jug and plopped it in the freezer for next frying frenzy.

Well, I don’t know if that was inspiring or frightening! But, if anybody wants to come over and let Vern fry them up a batch of fries and critters, I’m sure he would be more than happy to!! You may even luck out and get a home-brewed beer if you come on the right day.

Happy Wednesday,

Cheryl

No comments: